Saturday, September 8, 2007

Awakenings

Well, I've recently discovered that I have become something that I never thought I would be.  I'm now one of those crazy runners. You know the ones- they're out pounding the road every day in every type of weather.  "Crazy runners, what are they doing running in this weather?" is what I usually think then I pass one by. However, I now get it.

As I went for my morning run, I thought that I would be able to dodge the showers. You know, get my run in before the heavy rain set in. I was about one third of the way through my routine when it began to sprinkle. My first thought was - damn, now I'm going to get wet.

As it starts to rain heavily, I continued to run, surprisingly finding the rain to be refreshing. It cooled me off. It was a welcoming relief among the sweat that covered my body and I thought,

What the hell, I was already sweaty, so what was the difference if I got rained on?

I found that it made me run harder. I don't know why, but it was reviving me. Like a flower getting it's energy and strength from water, I too was being energized and strengthened.

It felt good to have whatever I was feeling washed away with the rain. I'm not a highly religious person, but it was a spiritual cleansing of sorts. I felt good. I felt clean. I get it. I now understand why I see these "crazy" people out there in all kinds of weather. Perhaps every one of them was being empowered and revitalized by this process, and it felt great.

I can now say that, I will welcome the rain. I will let myself become drenched in whatever is put upon me and drive through it because I can. I learned that it is possibly be the very thing I needed to go through in order to succeed.

So, my advice to you is, run- full force,in whatever you do, try whatever you want, and let things happen in the moment.

Drench yourself in the experience.

You never know what you may learn about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment